Saturday, December 18, 2021

Film Review - Spiderman: No Way Home (2021)

 Spiderman No Way Home is the newest Marvel Studios film and the third solo Spiderman film in the MCU to star Tom Holland as Peter Parker/Spiderman and this movie sees him deal with the fallout of the ending of the last film Far From Home where his identity was revealed to the entire world and its having a bad effect on those around him so he seeks the help of Dr Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) to help undo it but in doing that Peter and Strange may have opened a door to the Multiverse which is something they know very very little about.

 

No Way Home is perfectly fine as a movie even though I had some initial mixed feelings about it when I walked out of my fairly packed cinema and I do think there is the bones of a really good movie here but those moments for me were mainly in the first half of the film where Peter has to deal with the real world consequences of being outed as Spiderman in front of the whole world and the at times futile fight to clear his name.

 

And Tom Holland not just in the whole film but particularly in these scenes really shows how great he is in this role and the more I think about the movie the more I wish it had stuck to this tone and followed this specific storyline all the way through.

 

For all of the Multiverse stuff is the first of 2 big problems I have with this movie, so much of these Multiverse moments just to me felt like fanservice and not done in a way that I found all that thrilling for all but a few moments, don’t get me wrong those moments do work for well a moment but outside of that sugar hit I just sat there at times thinking “Is That It?”

 

And another big problem I have is the humour in this movie, now I was not a fan of the last MCU film the Eternals but one thing I did praise it for doing was not feeling the need to shove a one liner or clever wisecrack down my throat every 2 to 5 minutes but here there are a lot of one liners and I just got so fucking sick of them.

 

As for the action sequences well their okay but I preferred the one on one fights as opposed to the climax, the best fight scene is the one with Peter and Doc Ock on the Bridge as has been teased in the previews for the film.

 

And that was Spider-Man No Way Home and there’s a good movie in here but it got too bogged down in the Multiverse for my liking but there is still some good fun to be had here, 3 out of 5.

No comments: