Saturday, May 1, 2021

Film Review - The Mitchells Vs The Machines (2021)

 The Mitchells Vs The Machines is a new Netflix animated film which they inherited from Sony Pictures Animation (they called the film Connected) due to the pandemic and it concerns the Mitchell family who have grown apart over the years and their oldest daughter Katie (Abbi Jacobson) is keen to leave her family behind and go to film school but when the machines go on a rampage and later look to conquer the planet the Mitchells have to come together as a family to save the world.

 

I had seen a preview for this movie on the big screen in front of Wonder Woman 1984 at the end of last year and it looked pretty fun but I hadn’t seen anything more after that and assumed it had disappeared off the map which wouldn’t have been a big surprise given the very fluid release date nature during this pandemic wreaking havoc with schedules but now Netflix has this movie on their service.

 

And it is a very fun and very funny movie, one segment in particular had me laughing so hard I rewound the film to watch that gag a good 2 or 3 times before I continued with the rest of the film, there are also a lot of very quick gags littered throughout the film that had me laughing quite a bit and the film also has a lot of great animation and though the film has digital animation there are many times where it looked like hand drawn animation at least to my eyes.

 

Also this movie has a very very cute Dog in it that made me go “Awwww” when he came on screen.

 

To continue on with the animation, some of the films animation style reminded me an awful lot of Tron from 1982 and I found myself wondering if that film was a big influence on this movie.

 

If I have a downside its that the family section of the film got a little too sentimental for me at times in that their dysfunctional and don’t get along and have lots of fights and after a while I got a little tired of it and of course there is the two thirds mark incident that always happens in these kinds of films and that got on my goat as well.

 

But that said this is a great time and I wish I had gotten to see the whole thing on the big screen instead of just the preview for it as it would’ve been a visual treat at the cinema, 3 and a half out of 5.

No comments: