Thursday, December 3, 2020

Film Review - On the Rocks (2020)

On the Rocks is the new film written and directed by Sofia Coppola and stars Rashida Jones as Laura, a young Mum living in New York with her 2 young children while her husband Dean (Marlon Wayans) is away a lot on work trips but Laura’s father (Bill Murray) starts to suspect he might be having an affair and wants to enlist Laura to tail him to find out whether he is or not.

 

On the Rocks is perfectly fine, it has some very nice shots of the New York skyline and there are some nice moments overall in the film between Ms Jones and Mr Wayans but I just thought it was a perfectly fine and harmless movie that I wouldn’t be heading out to rave about anytime soon.

 

Mr Murray meanwhile is simply delightful in this movie with many scenes showing that he still has that droll deadpan humour that helped make him such a big star and every scene where he’s telling stories to either Laura or others in those scenes I just felt this sense of calm come over me and it proved like I had forgotten that Mr Murray still has it.

 

As for Ms Jones well I wish someone else had played her part, don’t get me wrong she is perfectly fine but someone as bright and talented as she is deserves better than to play the slightly stuck in a rut housewife that so many others could probably play as well, I would love to know what her Toy Story 4 script was going to be like.

 

And so that was On the Rocks and its perfectly decent and fine but mainly worth it for Mr Murray, 2 out of 5.

No comments: