Monday, February 24, 2020

Film Review - Sonic the Hedgehog (2020)

Sonic is based off of the long running SEGA video game series and sees Sonic (Ben Schwartz) come to Earth from his homeworld to keep safe from those who want his super speed abilities but when he accidentally causes a blackout in his adopted home of Green Hills the eccentric Dr Robotnik (Jim Carrey) is sent to find him and Sonic and a local Sherriff (James Marsden) must team up to stop him.

Sonic is surprisingly quite good fun and I had a good time watching this in the cinema and first up is Mr Marsden, he is pretty good here and watching him here made me think of how dirty he was done by as Scott Summers/Cyclops in the original X-Men movies (Bryan Singer’s X-Men 3 was said to put him front and centre according to writer Mike Doughtery before that got scrapped and they all made Superman Returns instead) and it made me think that he would have made a great Cyclops if they had let him be one but I guess its up to Marvel Studios to do that work now.

Secondly Mr Schwartz is very fun in his voicework as Sonic and while he channels Evan Peters as Quicksilver also from the X-Men franchise and there are some very Quicksilver inspired scenes with Sonic in this movie but he always keeps the character fun to watch and the much discussed redesign of the character adds immensely to the characters appeal on film.

But there is one man who steals this movie and runs away with it and that is Mr Jim Carrey, his Dr Robotnik is so much fun to watch and I had a big smile on my face and a laugh in my voice in virtually every scene he’s in and if like me you grew up remembering the Mask or Dumb and Dumber or Ace Ventura or Liar Liar this is as good as those comedy performances he gave us back in the day, there was a moment that made me go “Somebody Stop MEeeee” and a moment that mad me go “I CANT LIIEEE” and a lot of times where I thought of his work as the Riddler in Batman Forever and to see him have fun in a comedic role again was just a pure delight to watch and it really elevates the movie for me.

Also for longtime Sonic fans there are plenty of references and easter eggs to find.

And so that was Sonic the Hedgehog which is surprisingly good fun that is elevated by Jim Carrey’s very welcome return to a big comedy role and I hope for the sequel he’ll get to channel some of that Cable Guy energy in a future sequel which has to keep this same team attached to it, 3 and a half out of 5.

No comments: