Monday, February 24, 2020

Film Review - Richard Jewell (2020)

Richard Jewell is directed by Clint Eastwood (who turns 90 this year by the way) and stars Paul Walter Hauser as Richard Jewell a former office worker who wants to be a police officer and works security in Atlanta during the 1996 Olympics but when a Bomb is found in Centennial Park he jumps into action and is initially credited for averting a far worse outcome but the FBI suspect he may be the bomber after all.

Richard Jewell is a movie that I am of 2 minds on, on the one hand Mr Hauser is truly truly great as Richard Jewell and it’s a real shame that he was not nominated for Best Actor for his work in this movie as he surely deserved the nomination more than DiCaprio did for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and he was great in that film don’t get me wrong but Hauser is better and it’s the kind of performance that really gets to you emotionally and also makes you think about how you would go if you faced a situation like this one, certainly I felt this way and I don’t know if I would have handled it very well at all.

As for the rest of the cast they are perfectly fine, Mr Sam Rockwell does a good job as Richard’s lawyer though like in Iron Man 2 10 years ago he reminded me a whole lot of Michael Biehn, Kathy Bates is good as Richard’s mother who becomes an innocent victim in the maelstrom that comes into her son’s life while Jon Hamm does a good job as the FBI agent who becomes convinced of Richard’s guilt.

But there is a big big red herring in this movie and that is the journalist played by Olivia Wilde (who directed Booksmart last year) and it is one of the worst performances I have ever seen a talent like her give in any movie, from the moment she opened her smegging mouth I just thought to myself:

“What the Fuck, is this a Fucking Joke, No Fucking Journalist Talks like this”

And look maybe this feeling is because I’ve come to know a few journos over the last few years and some of them while almost always delivering great work on their stories I have disagreed with them from time to time but never in any major way but here she acts more and more like a knockoff of Catherine Tremell from Basic Instinct and the more I think about that performance the more it makes my fucking blood boil, UUUURRRRRGGGGHHHHH.

Anywho I’ll stop the review there before I rant more as the film is really saved by Mr Hauser’s performance and fine work from all others, 2 and a half out of 5.

No comments: