Saturday, February 9, 2019

Film Review - The Lego Movie 2 (2019)

The Lego Movie 2 takes place 5 years after the events of the first Lego Movie and Bricksburg has now become Apocalypseburg after the Planet Duplo invaded and destroyed their home and now Lucy (Elizabeth Banks) and their friends have been kidnapped by the Sistar System and its up to Emmett (Chris Pratt) to go and save her and prove that everything can indeed be awesome.

Lego Movie 2 had an awful lot to live up to as I was very nicely taken by surprise by its wild imagination, great characters, fun storytelling and that damn song Everything is Awesome which I must have sung for about 2 days straight after seeing it but now we have a sequel which has to build on those expectations but can it do so like a master builder or is everything not so awesome second time around.

Sadly very sadly I must say everything is not awesome second time around and instead everything is okay, it’s a fun sequel but it falls very very short of the great heights set by the first film and first off once again the wild imagination is on display and these films have worked best when it shows those huge worlds and inventive humour and there is plenty of both.

I will say however that the humour this time around didn’t make me laugh as much as it did in the first movie parts of it did make me laugh and there were times where I was the only person laughing in my session but it wasn’t as effective for me as it was in the first film.

And I would also say that of the films overall storytelling again it isn’t bad but it isn’t as effective as it was in the first film, it blends in the live action element a lot more here and much like in the original film it doesn’t work as well and here there is a lot more of it and also the storytelling in the Lego World didn’t quite feel as inventive as it did in the first film, it feels more sketchy and messy like a bunch of ideas written down to form a story.

And lastly I wasn’t as fond of any of the songs as I was Everything is Awesome from the original film and again don’t get me wrong they are fun songs that work well in the film but I didn’t find them as catchy as I did the song from the first film.

And so that was Lego Movie 2 and it’s a decent enough, fun enough sequel but it falls very very short of the original film and given how much I enjoyed the first film it is majorly disappointing, 2 out of 5.

No comments: