Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Film Review - The Leisure Seeker (2018)

The Leisure Seeker stars Donald Sutherland and Helen Mirren as John and Ella an elderly couple who are slowly dying of both dementia and a blood disease but rather than wait around to die they decide to take a road trip in their Winnebago called The Leisure Seeker so they can both have one last adventure before the end comes.

I quite liked the Leisure Seeker for 1 main reason the first one of course being that wonderful duo of actors I have loved both of them for a long time Sutherland in particular has been a big favorite of mine since I saw him on the Simpsons as the head of the Jebediah Springfield History Museum and of course he was President Snow in the Hunger Games movies and seeing him play a dying old man just made me think “No he’s my Leader he can’t be sick” and it got to me a little bit after seeing the movie.

As for Ms Mirren she is quite good here as well as the mental reinforcement of her forgetful husband even though she herself is dying and the two of them together have great chemistry which makes every scene with them worth watching though Mirren’s American accent was at times distracting and I just thought at times “Let me hear that grand old Dame and her beautiful natural accent” and some of the scenes in the films 2016 setting were very interesting to say the least plus there is some very nice Florida photography in the third act.

If I have one complaint its that I wish the illnesses the two leads had was properly explained better at the beginning of the film so we had a better understanding of why they decided to go on that final journey together but apart from that I don’t have much else to complain about.

And so that was the Leisure Seeker a quite good little film with 2 great actors delivering fine work, 3 out of 5.

No comments: