Sunday, April 29, 2018

Film Review - All the Presidents Men (1976)

All the Presidents Men is based off of the true story and book by Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein played here by Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman who are assigned to investigate the Watergate break in and it could possibly lead to President Richard Nixon but they will soon know how deep that story goes.

I was inspired to check out this movie after watching the Post by Steven Spielberg earlier this year and I really responded to that film for its story and for making me think of the period I spent with ABC South East SA doing reviews for them that coming to an end a month earlier so with that I kept learning about All the Presidents Men and my desire for a great journalistic movie pretty much led me to here.

And I was not disappointed in the slightest about it as its terrific director Alan Pakula and screenwriter William Goldman approach this story which is very familiar to most given we know how it ends but the way they do is that its like a murder mystery and a detective story combined with the journalism side where those offices act like the police station at times and again like the Post at times I did think of my wonderful Radio friends.

The film also has 2 dynamic performances at the centre of it all as well Redford and Hoffman have incredible chemistry and at times I thought that they might have improvised some of their riffs together and though at times Hoffman talks a little too fast to understand him you find yourself completely engrossed in their investigation and where it will lead.

Oh and there are some fun cameos to be had as well.

And so that was my review of All the Presidents Men a film that I really responded to and is pretty much the gold standard of journalistic films though given who sits in the WH at the moment they’ll be making similar films about this time period and it could well be challenged, 4 and a half out of 5.

No comments: