Saturday, January 13, 2018

Film Review - Coco (2017)

Coco is the newest Pixar production and concerns the Day of the Dead festival in Mexico (Anthony Gonzalez) where the spirits of the dead can come across for a day to the world of the living provided their photo is remembered and their family doesn’t forget about them and Miguel is a young boy who wants to be a musician like his hero Ernesto de la Cruz (Benjamin Bratt) but music is forbidden in his family so he ends up in the land of the dead and only hours to receive their blessing and head back home.

Coco was highly awaited by me as I like Pixar as a studio but their recent run has left a lot to be desired as save for Inside Out their run since Cars 2 in 2011 has done very little for me but this was another original project from them so hopes were high.

And they were mediumly met as while I think this is one of their better movies I don’t think it comes up to the level of their greats like the Toy Story trilogy, Monsters Inc and Finding Nemo among others now the visual look of the film is great with the way the land of the dead and the land of the living and the way the two worlds interact so seamlessly was very nice plus there was some nice storytelling here in terms of who I thought who was going to end up being.

The movie also has some really nice music in it and the main song Remember Me is really nice and will have even the iciest of hearts like mine be tugged on but this movie I really wish I saw before I saw Paddington 2 as that film I’m sorry to say is far superior in terms of storytelling, music and characters now this is not in any way a knock on Coco it’s a good film but Paddington 2 was better.

And so that was Coco and Pixar fans will get something out of it as I did but I preferred Paddington 2, 3 out of 5.

No comments: