Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Film Review - Reckless Kelly (1993)

Reckless Kelly is written and directed by and starring Yahoo Serious and this tells the tale of the Kelly Gang in a very different way who rob banks in Sydney to give the money to people who can’t afford their loans but when Sir John (Hugo Weaving) buys his island home he has to find a million dollars to buy it back so he heads to America to get the job done.

I had fun watching Reckless Kelly and the first of those reasons is due to the fun light hearted tone that Serious brings to the material he doesn’t let the film run on longer than it needs to be nor does he let the gags get too far out of hand or go on for long enough that they outstay their welcome which happens quite a bit with most modern day comedies now plus there was a lot of great Australian tracks and scenery on show here.

Secondly Hugo Weaving is a great villain and he looks like he is relishing playing a fun slimy character so soon after his breakout role in Proof 2 years before and his manner of dress reminded me a little of Kingsman so much so that part of me was saying Manners Maketh Man at one point plus his stiff upper lip voice was great fun as well and one gag about the British flag made me laugh.

And lastly part of the pub that Ned lives in also acts as a Video Rental Library and seeing all of those lovely Roadshow Home Video cassettes on the shelves (Graham Burke serves as executive producer here so of no doubt he helped get clearance for the titles) made me geek out big time and want to freeze frame those scenes to spot the covers and I spotted Wanted Dead or Alive, Rambo II, Navy Seals, Target Eagle and a Show of Force among others that looked familiar but I couldn’t identify without getting a closer look.

But I want to end this review on a more serious note and that is when the film was over and I thought about the fun I had when watching it I also thought to myself that it was great to see our own stories as Australians up there on the screen in a way that could be accessible to a mainstream and wide audience and that if we are to have a vibrant and sustainable industry then the old prejudice towards genre films is something that has to go I feel.

And so that was Reckless Kelly a fun breezy light hearted Aussie comedy that I had some fun with, 3 out of 5.

No comments: