Thursday, April 7, 2016

Film Review - The Jungle Book (2016)

The Jungle Book is based off of the Rudyard Kipling book and the 1966 Disney animated feature and sees Mowgli (Neel Sethi) being hunted by the Tiger Shere Khan (Idris Elba) so he flees into the Jungle where he meets Baloo (Bill Murray) who teaches him all about the Bare Necessities but Shere Khan can't be ignored forever.

I am very mixed on the Jungle Book, I think Jon Favreau did a good job directing the film and it feels more like the Favreau that gave us the first Iron Man and Chef and I love Sethi as Mowgli along with Murray as Baloo, Christopher Walken as King Louie, Scarlett Johansson as Kaa and Elba as Shere Khan who played the role brilliantly like a Tiger.

The film's CGI work also looks great and the use of 2 key songs from the animated film was a real treat that had me smiling from ear to ear but the storyline just didn't an awful lot for me, it tended to move very quickly from one scene to the next which does hurt some of the quieter scenes in the film and the film is also dark and dreary at times and I did see some squirming from the kids in my session which is not always a good sign.

And so that was the Jungle Book, its well made and performed but its story didn't do much for me, 2 and a half out of 5.

No comments: