Thursday, April 28, 2016

Film Review - The Boss (2016)

The Boss stars Melissa McCarthy as Michelle Darnelle the head of a company who then finds herself convicted of Insider Trading but when she gets out of prison she tracks down her old assistant (Kristen Bell) and becomes determined to get back to the top.

Plenty to say about the Boss:

- Firstly if you have seen the Simpsons episodes where Mr Burns went broke and lost the Power Plant and Marge joined the Pretzel Wagon then the story of this film will feel very familiar to you as it did for me (this isn't the first time this has happened) and there were points where I literally thought of those episodes while the film went on.

- Secondly McCarthy is her typical self but her husband director Ben Falcone (they also co wrote and produced the film together) lets her go too far out on the edge whereas Paul Feig who directed her in Bridesmaids and Spy and soon in the new Ghostbusters is more willing to say to her "That works and that doesn't" hopefully Feig will crack the whip with her and the new Ghostbusters like he did in Spy later this year.

As for Bell I liked her here as the young single Mum trying to do the right thing but my fav performance in the film is Peter Dinklage as Renault, I thought he was a very fun villain and a lot of the best gags in the film were his.

- But lastly a lot of the jokes just didn't land for me as once again female anatomy has become something to laugh at and make fun of well I'm sorry but I just do not find it very funny much and I barely laughed at the film as a result of it.

In contrast the preview for the Nice Guys with Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling and I laughed my head off at that preview whereas here I giggled on occasion but not genuine laughter very much.

But if you are a Melissa McCarthy fan (I can take her or leave her) then you'll have fun at the Boss, 1.5 out of 5.

No comments: