Saturday, August 8, 2015

Film Review - Trainwreck (2015)

Trainwreck is directed by Judd Apatow and stars Amy Schumer as Amy who writes for S'Nuff magazine and is handed an assignment on a sports doctor (Bill Hader) but the two soon enough find themselves falling for each other and Amy gets a little uncomfortable.

Trainwreck was not a film for me I have to say but not to say that it's a bad film it definitely has its moments in terms of some of the gags and references and songs on the soundtrack plus Hader is very effective as a romantic lead primarily because I feel that he is one of us a tall lanky geeky average looking man rather than the endless parade of handsome charismatic men that we see far too often in the movies or indeed in popular culture nowadays.

But as I said this film was not for me because a lot of it when I think about it reminds me of Pitch Perfect 2 in that the primary audience for this film are women and a lot of the jokes in the film are aimed squarely at that audience and for me I just sat there thinking "okay, what, oh god" at times but the real sin is that it is far far too long, if this had been 90 minutes of Amy doing a theatrical version of her sketch show and falling in love with Bill's character then fine and fair enough but at 2 hours I lost my patience with this film and just wanted it to end as well as an editing machine so I could recut the film to make it shorter and more on point.

And so Trainwreck is not a bad film but not one that worked for me personally but women will love it, 1.5 out of 5.

No comments: