Friday, October 17, 2014

Film Review - A Walk Among the Tombstones (2014)

A Walk Among the Tombstones stars Liam Neeson as Private Detective Matt Sculler who is hired by a Drug Dealer to find who kidnapped and later murdered his wife but this mystery will not be an easy one to solve.

A Walk Among the Tombstones is not a terrible movie but it's also not a very good one either but before I get into that side of it I will talk about what I did like and that is mainly Neeson himself who brings a nice seasoned grizzly quality to this role and he is the main person that holds your attention in this film.

Sadly however the film around him is not that great and its mainly due to the script here for not only is it a very generic tale of kidnapping, murder, ransom and "I will find you and I will kill you" climax but also it feels very anticlimactic as all through this film I kept waiting for another element to come into play that would elevate the material into something special and instead it just sits there in first gear and just plods along to its predictable ending.

But lastly I really need to talk about Neeson's action career and more and more I am becoming reminded of Stallone's action film career instead of Arnold Schwarzenegger as like Sly, Neeson hit it big with Taken in 2008 and it still holds up as a great action film but almost all of them since have been either second rate or flat out mediocre which is where Sly's went following his Rambo success, by contrast Arnold's breakout success with the Terminator was followed up with the likes of Predator and the original Total Recall, I really hope Neeson will make another great action film soon but I won't hold my breath.

And so this Walk Among the Tombstones suffers from a not so good script and plodding direction, go and see Gone Girl instead, 2 out of 5.

No comments: