Saturday, September 13, 2014

Film Review - Into the Storm (2014)

Into the Storm stars Richard Armitage (Thorin from the Hobbit) as the principal of a High School in Silverton, a town in America which comes under threat from a Tornado but this Tornado might be the first of many.

You know, part of me was actually looking forward to this movie going into it as I like the idea of a giant storm destroying us all being the subject of a horror type film (this was the same appeal factor that Russel Crowe's Noah had for me) as unlike guys like Mick or Freddy or Jason or Michael there is no bad person to defeat but Mother Nature herself who is malevolent and not easily defeated as she who is eternal can never be claimed Dominion over by man and is as far beyond humans as we are beyond bugs (hey some storms can feel like the Age of Apocalypse is coming) but at the same time the film did look like a bad Twister knockoff.

But to my surprise I actually didn't mind this film for the most part, I enjoyed Armitage in his role and the scenes of the giant storm in action were kinda cool but I also had a couple of problems with the film:

- The first is that the film's climax does get very silly with the Giant Tornado that looked like it was the size of NSW and would surely devour everything in its path but kinda doesn't and as a result I was pulled out of the film by the end.

- The second is that some of the characters seemed utterly clueless at times when it comes to the nature of Thunderstorm systems, at once point one of them goes "But how can a storm system regenerate" or something along those lines and my reply was "Pretty easy sweetheart" as if the place in the path of a storm has enough instability then it can easily fire back up again with the thunder and the lightning and oh god its terrible Feeling that it can generate.

So all in all despite those, I did enjoy Into the Storm but would recommend the Day After Tomorrow instead as that was a more believable film in this field and has much stronger characters but I still hope for the day when a storm front gets the proper dark horror treatment it deserves, 2 out of 5.

No comments: