Saturday, September 13, 2014

Film Review - The Giver (2014)

The Giver is directed by Phillip Noyce who you may remember from such films as Newsfront, Dead Calm, Rabbit Proof Fence and his horrible adaptation of Patriot Games but here this film takes place in the future where everyone and everything is exactly the same and Jonas (Brenton Thwaites) is chosen to be given the memories of the past by his mentor (Jeff Bridges) but some feelings may be stronger than others.

The Giver is merely okay, Noyce does an okay job here (better than he did with Patriot Games I'll say that much) and I do like the Black and White photography the film opens with as indeed I enjoyed Jeff Bridges in his role as he seemed to have started talking more like a normal person than just doing his True Grit voice like he has in his last couple of movies and I also liked Alexander Skarsgard (son of Stellan Skarsgard I must add) in his role though Meryl Streep is pretty much sleep walking through her role in the film which is a shame as I enjoyed her very much in She Devil when I watched it recently.

And so the Giver is decent overall but very forgettable and like the upcoming Maze Runner film seems designed to just keep the YA base in cinemas whilst they watch the time tick away until the next Hunger Games movie comes out in November, 2 out of 5.

No comments: