Monday, August 11, 2014

O Captain Our Captain: Remembering Robin Williams

When I woke up this morning to check the usual headlines that I do each day, some very very sad news was among them and that was the sad news of the passing of Robin Williams.

And it was certainly news that made me sad as I had always enjoyed seeing him in a movie over the years even if the film itself wasn't that great and one of my favorite roles of his was as Professor John Keating in Peter Weir's wonderful film Dead Poets Society, a role that proved he had a great knack for doing dramatic roles as well as doing comedy and that end scene just well it's hard to not to feel emotional while you're watching it.

But my favorite role of his if I had to pick one would have to be as the Genie of the Lamp in Aladdin, a role that really suited his fast paced comic vocals very well and in some ways helped to change the face of famous actors doing voice over work in animated movies afterwards.

Aladdin also was a very formative movie experience for me as a child and I can still remember the first time I saw it as if it was a video waiting to be put in the machine, it was an afternoon for sure and my class was gathered in the local Library as one of the other kids had brought in Aladdin for us all to watch (sorry but no names) and I was hooked right then and there with its comic energy, great songs (the two Genie songs were performed by Robin himself sometimes after a long day filming Hook for Steven Spielberg where he was on wires) and terrific characters, one of those being Robin's Genie.

I feel like I don't have a lot more to say after that so I'll finish up by saying that Robin Williams was a terrific comic and dramatic talent and the film going world as well as those in it just won't feel as fun or exciting without him, may he Rest in Peace.

No comments: