Sunday, August 10, 2014

Film Review - Lucy (2014)

Lucy is the new action film from Luc Besson and this time he's donning both the writing and directing Hats and this one stars Scarlett Johansson as Lucy who gets caught up in a Chinese Drug Ring and a packet of CPH4 in her stomach in order to transport it, meanwhile a Doctor played by Morgan Freeman believes that humans can only 10% of their full brain potential and with the right kick, could reach 100%.

Lucy for me was okay, I liked it on the whole but the more I've thought about it the more unmemorable I find it to be, Johansson does her usual bottom kicking routine she does as the Black Widow but I didn't find it as enjoyable as seeing Liam Neeson kicking everyone's bottom in Paris in the first Taken mainly because that wasn't expected when we first saw it and Freeman does his usual fine job though I did think of him doing Vituvrius from the Lego Movie at times.

The film also has some interesting ideas about a person's brain potential but the 3rd act takes that and makes it as preposterous as the recent Johnny Deep film Transcendence and I was reminded of that film when this one was over and not in good way.

So all in all Lucy is okay but nothing special and is worth a cheap ticket Tuesday matinee, 2 out of 5.

No comments: