Sunday, January 19, 2014

Film Review - Rewind This (2013)

Rewind this is a documentary feature that chronicles the rise and fall of the VHS format in terms of its birth in the early 1980's and its fall in the late 1990's and how both of those events led to the revival of collections of the format and the digital media landscape we see today.

I was very keen for this doco as I am a big VHS collector in my own right and now the chance had come for me to finally be able to see it as its release in Australia was very very limited, with that how was the doco now that I have seen it?

To be blunt I loved it, I really got into it, I loved seeing all of the various collections that were shown in the doco that had my mouth dropping, I also loved seeing the various titles promoted that made me think "That was a Roadshow release" or "That was a Premiere release" and there were some elements that just made me go "WTF is that."

But what I also loved was its 3rd act poignancy and how the rise of digital media came about from this time and how that may undo all of the work the rise of VHS did to give viewers a sense of ownership of their favourite titles not to mention the rise in VHS collectors and how it is as much about memories as about their favourite titles, it made me not only smile but it also warmed my heart little especially one section that made me think "That is awesome."

And so, I just cannot recommend this documentary enough, it was all things weird and wonderful and it left me smiling from ear to ear and thinking about my own tape collection, 5 out of 5.

No comments: