Friday, January 27, 2012

FIlm Review - The Muppets (2012)


This new movie regarding the Muppets is the brain of writer/actor Jason Segel, himself a big Muppets fan and the story in this film regards his character Gary, his Muppet brother Walter and his girlfriend of 10 years Mary (Amy Adams) heading to Los Angeles and while there they learn of a plan to demolish the old Muppets studios to drill for oil and with that its time to play the music and time to light the lights.

Okay, I went into the Muppets not being a fan of them originally, probably a good way to start but I saw it was playing and decided to go, with that how did I find the film?

To my complete delight, the film is simply wonderful, wearing its heart on its sleeve at all times but revelling in it and not bordering on schamltzyness or cheesiness, it feels nicely moderated and I had no idea Segel had such a heartfelt and warm film in him.

But wait there's more, the film also has a smart script that handles its "breaking the 4th wall" aspect very cleverly, Segel and Adams have really nice chemistry and speaking of Adams, she is note perfect in this movie and despite the absence of original Frank Oz, the new voices feel nicely done and you don't miss his contribution at all.

But I have to talk about the songs, namely two "Life's a Happy Song" which opens and closes the film and is very good but my favourite has to be "The Rainbow Connection" from the original Muppet movie, wonderful to hear again and I couldn't help but start to cry a little when I heard it in the cinema.

And lastly, there is a Toy Story cartoon before the film regarding a support group for discarded happy meal toys and a 3 inch Buzz Lightyear who swaps places with him, this like the film itself is very well done and I hope that a DVD of the Toy Story toons will be released soon.

All in all, seek out the Rainbow Connection and take the family to this movie, its a wonderful experience for young and old and smuggle a hanky in your pocket, I can't recommend this movie enough, 5 out of 5.

No comments: