Sunday, September 3, 2023

Film Review - Strays (2023)

Strays is a new comedy starring Will Ferrell as the voice of Reggie a dog who is hated by his owner (Will Forte) and one day he is abandoned and comes across Bug (Jamie Foxx) who teaches him what it means to be a Stray dog but Reggie is determined to get his revenge on his owner by biting off his most beloved part of his body.

Strays was a movie I was really looking forward to mainly because the preview for it was one of my favourites in the last while, it sold me on the film and made me laugh.

And happily the film did not disappoint, this is a very fun movie especially with a decent sized cinema crowd and firstly the laughs come hard and fast and I found myself quite a bit behind my mask in the cinema, Ferrell is much better here than he was in Barbie and that’s really because he’s the centre of the film instead of an afterthought, Foxx is also good fun as the street wise Bug while Isla Fisher and Randall Park are also good fun as 2 other dogs who join Reggie and Bug.

Also the film has a surprising amount of heart to it, much more than I thought it would though when you see multiple close ups of Reggie and think “aww he’s a cute doggie” you’ll find yourself wanting him to achieve his goal and the story regarding Bug worked for me as well.

But if there is a scene stealer it is Forte as Doug who is a horrible owner and he plays that very well and is a better villain than most I’ve seen in a while and I want that to be fixed please.

And so that was Strays, its very funny has some heart and closeups of cute doggos and a great villain, I had a lot of fun with this one, 3 and a half out of 5.

No comments: