Tuesday, December 25, 2018

2018 in Film Part 1

Well its that time again boys and girls, another year in movies has pretty much come and gone and the time has come to write about it and reveal my lists of the best and worst of the year.

But all of that fun is for later as for right now it is time to write about my thoughts overall on the movie year as a whole and it was an interesting one for me to start off with as this was the first full year of movie going for me since 2013 where I wasn’t doing my Radio show with Selina on ABC South East SA that having come to an end in December of 2017 sadly.

And if I was to have one regret with that ending in the way that it did it is not getting to review Star Wars: The Last Jedi with her as we had been talking about it in the last 2 or 3 shows before its December release date and indeed the day my Radio days ended was the opening day of that film so to not pay that off is very disappointing but alas these things happen and nothing lasts forever.

But getting back on track I will actually say that this year movie wise was actually pretty good and certainly better than 2016 and 2017 were and those years I was on Radio, I thought there was a nice mix of great genre cinema and independent type films and a lot of the times I went to the movies I actually enjoyed being there and maybe part of that is because I wasn’t rushing around so much to have reviews of films done by a certain date so I could do that Radio show review but I digress.

The other big film related thing I did this year was make the leap to 4K Ultra HD and it is fantastic especially with the older films I love such as Rambo, Predator, Die Hard and the Hunt for Red October to name as examples all 4 of those films looked and sounded great and made me feel like I was sitting in a Village or Hoyts or Greater Union cinema back in the time of their original release year and that 35mm print was playing in front of me for the first time.

First Blood in particular felt like I could practically smell the film grain in the print and it makes me want to see more older films make the leap to that format such as Lethal Weapon and Back to the Future but with streaming so dominant right now I won’t hold my breath.

Well that being done that was Part 1 of my look back at 2018 film wise keep an eye out for Part 2 I reveal my best and worst of the year so stay tuned.

No comments: