Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Film Review - The Old Man and the Gun (2018)

The Old Man and the Gun is written and directed by David Lowery who also made 2016’s Pete Dragon and stars Robert Redford in his final screen role as Forest Tucker an old man who loves to rob banks even if he is very polite about it but a detective named John Hunt (Casey Affleck) is now on his trail.

The Old Man and the Gun is a nice movie and also a fitting tribute to Redford’s presence on screen and his appeal as an actor as his down to earth charm, his no fuss charisma and his ability to do so much with his mere presence on screen is on full display here and Lowery who also directed him in a small role in Pete’s Dragon doesn’t let his direction get in the way of his performance instead focusing on recreating the 1981 look on film with the heavy grain and long takes and it works really well.

Someone else I enjoyed seeing in this movie in a small role was Danny Glover even though all I could think the entire time he was on screen was “I’m too old for this shit” and as for Casey Affleck I thought he was okay but he had a bad tendency to mumble a lot of his lines most of the time and as a result I never really got fully on board with his performance.

But this is very much Redford’s movie and his presence more than carries it though one scene in particular made me think of Grand Theft Auto 5 the game which I still love playing.

And so that was the Old Man and the Gun and it’s a nice movie that serves as a great tribute to Robert Redford and his career and afterwards it will make you want to watch your favorite Redford films I know I wanted to rewatch Sneakers from 1992 after this one, 3 out of 5.

No comments: