Thursday, June 7, 2018

Film Review - Oceans Eight (2018)

Oceans Eight is the newest entry in the Oceans franchise and this time Danny’s sister Debbie (Sandra Bullock) takes centre stage and decides to rob the Met Gala of a very expensive necklace which is also being used by Daphne Kluger (Anne Hathaway) so she assembles a team (Cate Blanchett, Sarah Paulson, Rhianna, Awkwafina, Mindy Kaling and Helena Bonham Carter) to pull off the heist.

Oceans Eight was a fun heist film for me and I’ve been a big fan of the 2001 Oceans Eleven film since I saw it on DVD in 2002 and the main reason I had as much fun as I did is because of that central cast of ladies all eight of them play off each other very well and their scenes together really do a lot to elevate Gary Ross’s screenplay (he also directed this movie and the first Hunger Games film) Ms Bullock in particular is a nice replacement for George Clooney and takes over his mantle well.

But the show stealer here is Ms Hathaway with her shallow and bitchy comedic timing and genuinely funny physical comedy just about every scene she was in had me properly laughing out loud in my seat and as someone who has been a big fan of hers for a long time and seen some of the frankly crap movies she has made it is fantastic to see her on such great form here.

If I have a complaint and I do a little bit is that the central heist isn’t as strong as it could have been and given the 2001 Oceans Eleven had a great heist that felt daring and dangerous but also something of a personal feel to it as well as the bigger picture whereas here the personal element doesn’t feel as integral to the storytelling and also a jewellery heist just felt like a bit of a step back for me personally speaking as I felt this new team of con artists deserved a great heist like in the 2001 Oceans Eleven film.

And so that was my review of Oceans Eight a film that despite some storytelling stumbles I had some good fun with and would definitely want a sequel if one comes to pass, 3 out of 5.

No comments: