Thursday, January 21, 2016

Film Review - Goosebumps (2016)

Goosebumps is based off of the RL Stine books from the 90s and concerns a young boy named Zach (Dylan Minnette) and his mother moving to Madison Delaware, one night he meets his mysterious neighbour named Hannah (Odeya Rush) and her father (Jack Black) who holds a secret that could awaken this sleepy small town in very strange ways.

I had fun watching Goosebumps, it's a straight up and down kids film that moves along at a nice pace and Black is great fun here, the best I've seen him be in a long time, the film also has some really nice visual effects work as well as nods to the original novels which I read as a boy.

The film however is probably more kid friendly than I thought it would be as I had felt strongly before seeing it that it would aim itself more towards the people in their late 20s/early 30s but it's definitely aimed at 7-12 year olds primarily and this is fine but it definitely came as a surprise to me watching the film.

Goosebumps is fun but more for kids, 2 out of 5.

No comments: