Saturday, October 24, 2015

Film Review - Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (2014)

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods is the precursor film to this year's Resurrection F which brought back Frieza but this story concerns Lord Beerus the God of Destruction who awakens from his slumber and learns of how Goku defeated Frieza so Beerus decides to fight him and once more the fate of the Earth is at stake.

Battle of Gods I'm sorry to say did very little for me as a film despite being the enormous DBZ fan I was as a teenager (I very nearly took up Martial Arts as a result of this) as well as really enjoying Resurrection F earlier this year but whereas that film succeeded because of Frieza coming back Beerus here seems more like a comic threat than a real one and I feel that the reason the Frieza storyline holds up the most is because you feel that pathos with Frieza.

Here like I mentioned above I never felt that sense that Beerus must be stopped like I do with Frieza and this is just another example I'm sorry to say of where Dragon Ball went after him just conjuring up more and more threats that began to make less and less sense story wise and were only written frankly to keep the book in circulation in Japan (and indeed this was the case as Akira Toryiama had originally wanted to end DBZ after the Frieza storyline.)

And so that was Battle of Gods which despite some nice animation just left me bored throughout, best to wait for Resurrection F as that was a much better film as it felt more action oriented and had a much better use of the characters as well as retaining the comedy of this film, 2 out of 5.

No comments: