Saturday, June 20, 2015

Film Review - Minions (2015)

Minions as Geoffrey Rush tells us have been on this planet far longer than mankind but their purpose to serve the most despicable villain around is not always one that meets with success until they learn of Scarlet Overkill (Sandra Bullock) the first female super villain and the Minions decide to sign to her goal of world domination.

This has easily been one of my most anticipated films of the year so far mainly because I really love the Minions themselves (they're very unique characters with their funny language patterns and slapstick humour) and the previews for this film made me laugh out loud but could this film possibly deliver or just end up slipping on a banana peel?

Well happily this film did indeed deliver the goods as I had so much fun watching it in the cinema, there were times where I was literally laughing out loud and like a hyena and the first is that the 3 main Minions Kevin, Stuart and Bob are very likeable here and their comedy routine reminded me very much of Lt Frank Drebin and the original Naked Gun film from 1988 plus Bob is really well handled here taking what could've been an annoying character into one of the films real highlights.

But that's not all, the use of the 1960's is really really well handled here and there were references that made me laugh but not many others in my session and Villain Con is just brilliant with all of these great supervillains and clear Comic Con inspirations and references it made me want to get the guide book the little girl in the trailer has (oh and that family is really funny as well and also I was reminded very much of Dr Claw from Inspector Gadget whilst watching the Villain Con scenes.)

If I have a complaint (and believe me it's a minor one) I will say that the 3rd act of the film does stumble a little bit but the film is very tightly put together that if it did go for a slightly longer length than its 91 minutes it might have bored some in the audience.

So all in all Minions is easily one of my favourite films of the year so far and it delivered the goods for me, 4 out of 5.

No comments: