Thursday, January 1, 2015

Film Review - Big Hero 6 (2014)

Big Hero 6 takes place in San Frantokyo where a young boy named Hiro (Ryan Potter) discovers his dead brother's experiment called Baymax (Scott Adsit) after he dies in a fire, the two then form a friendship but the man responsible for the fire is still on the loose and Hiro wants revenge.

Going into this film I had heard a fair bit about it but didn't really see any of the trailers beforehand so could Baymax and Co fill the void with the final film?

It did actually, I did enjoy myself with this movie, I thought Potter and Adsit were good (Baymax in particular is a very good character and will inspire a lot of laughs) and I also enjoyed Daymon Wayans Jr in his role (all is forgiven for Let's Be Cops mate) as well as the other teenagers Hiro and Baymax meet and train with to become superheroes.

But sadly what really brought this film down for me is the lack of a strong villain, look I know what you all must be thinking reading this (Here we go again, the same "no strong villain" broken record he plays time and time again) but for me this is fundamental to the success of an action picture which this film wants to be and Disney themselves have a very strong track record on this front with their animated classics.

But to develop a team of dynamic heroes with personalities and a rapport and not give them a villain worthy of a challenge (the villain here looks like a wannabe Sith Lord and isn't too special either) for me I find this nigh on unforgiveable and it has also hurt a lot of the Marvel Studios movies as well (The Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes and they face off with grey bland creatures and a Prima Donna in Loki, Ugh!) hopefully James Spader's Ultron can finally fix this jarring flaw as I am really beginning to lose patience with these films and Age of Ultron could be the final straw.

But enough of that as there is also a short cartoon in front of Big Hero 6 called Feast and it's a nice little cartoon about a Dog but I hope that Disney will consider some new Mickey or Donald cartoons next time around.

So all in all, Big Hero 6 is well done thanks to its main heroes but they don't have a worthy adversary and it weakens the film big time, 2 and a half out of 5.

No comments: