Saturday, January 3, 2015

Feeling the Force on the Big Screen

When sitting down to my session of the Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies a very unexpected surprise came amongst the number of previews for upcoming releases the cinema normally shows before any film.

And that was the teaser trailer for the upcoming Star Wars film The Force Awakens to be directed by JJ Abrams.

I have already talked about this teaser on my Radio show but the purpose of this column is to talk about how it felt to see this teaser on the big screen where it belongs.

And the only word I can use to describe the experience is MAGICAL! as here it was, X-Wings, TIE Fighters, Imperial Stormtroopers and the Millennium Falcon herself on a big cinema screen and big sound where they belong, I was giddy as a schoolboy watching this and I sat up straight so I could take it all in (there were people sitting in the row in front of me blocking the screen which was unacceptable this time) I looked around at the speakers to feel the sound.

And yet on the Inside I was virtually doing the whole Meg Ryan "I'll have what she's having" moment in When Harry Met Sally, that Giddy about this experience I was and yet the most surprising thing of all about it is that it even happened at all as I didn't really expect this trailer to be playing in any Australian cinemas, I know that AMC Theatres which is an American cinema chain was showing it in their cinemas but I hadn't seen any word from Village or Hoyts or Event Cinemas that they were going to show it.

But it sure is nice to be proven wrong and although the new Star Wars film is not my most anticipated film of the new year (though it's absolutely up there for sure) to see that teaser trailer on the big screen was like feeling the Force all over again and I am sure as hell more excited for what JJ and company have in store for us in December now that I've seen that first glimpse where it really needs to be seen.

No comments: