Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Film Review - Hercules (2014)

Based off the ancient legend, this new film version is directed by Brett Ratner and sees Dwayne Johnson "The Rock" as Hercules who after going through his 12 labors now has to deal with a king (John Hurt) who seeks to free his kingdom from an Evil force of Centaurs but this will not be an easy task.

I have to confess with the mighty power of THE CUSHIONS! that I did not expect a lot from this film going into it mainly because of Ratner in the director's chair (part of me just cannot forgive him for butchering X-Men 3 so badly) but Johnson has become a somewhat likeable lead and certainly the closest anyone has come to taking that mantle from Arnold Schwarzenegger but is this a Hero or a Zero?

Well surprisingly I didn't really mind this movie very much, I thought that the film had the moments I wanted out of it primarily Hercules punching things with his mighty strength and that was about it, not much I know but as I said I didn't really expect an awful lot from this film and I said to myself "If there's an action scene of Hercules punching things I'll be happy" and I was, Johnson is okay though I don't think he is the new Arnold and I also liked Ian McShane and Rufus Sewell in their roles.

Sadly however the film is very predictable in its storyline, as I was watching it I thought to myself "This is going to happen" numerous times and by the time I got to the climax part of me already knew what was going to happen, I also found it hard to shake the image of the 1997 Disney animated film of Hercules and boy oh boy I kept wishing James Woods would show up as the villains here are very boring.

So all in all, Hercules is okay but very predictable and frankly you can happily skip this film as I find it hard to recommend it, 2 out of 5.

No comments: