Friday, July 26, 2013

Film Review - The Wolverine (2013)

The 2nd film to feature the Wolverine on his own, the story here concerns Logan (Hugh Jackman) heading to Japan to repay an old debt that he was owed some years before, but the world he will see there will have more than old debts to be paid off but murder and intrigue.

It would be fair say that I went into this new Wolverine film actually pretty optimistically, I liked the preview that I saw before Iron Man 3 earlier this year and I began to think "This could be a nice surprise", was that to be the case?

Well sadly not as the film is for the most part pretty forgettable, don't get me wrong it's far from terrible and there are numerous things I liked about it.

The first of those is Jackman himself, his dedication to this role and his passion for it really shines through every time he's on screen and it's not hard to get caught up in his struggle as the film plays on, with the exception of Christopher Reeve as Superman and Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man it's hard to imagine another actor embodying a major superhero character as much as Jackman has as Wolverine and he doesn't disappoint here.

The second is Svetlana Khodchenkova as one of the film's chief villains, she was simply awesome and I loved her in this, she was charismatic, charming and deadly all at once as well as very dashing in green and she definitely lit up the film when she was on screen.

But apart from those let me just say this, the film is rather forgettable as the film's story didn't engage me very much and the climax in a Japanese tower was really boring with another big CGI robot as the final obstacle and it plays out like the final level in a Wolverine video game and as such, I just sat there bored by it all.

So all in all, I was not a huge fan of the Wolverine despite its lead actor and key villain delivering good performances and following the fantastic "Pacific Rim" this just doesn't slice the concrete with the claws, 2 out of 5.

No comments: