Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Film Review - Pacific Rim (2013)

Pacific Rim is directed by Guillermo Del Toro and the story concerns alien life coming not from the stars but down in the deep of the Pacific, giant monsters called Kaiju, humanity's best weapon is the Jaegar's, giant robots piloted by two people who can fight back but now the time has come to cancel this apocalypse.

I really don't know where to begin in terms of describing the experience I had watching this movie in a cinema, other than it will most definitely rank as one of my all time favourite cinema experiences and I mean every word of that as this is simply fantastic filmmaking from start to finish and I just sat there engulfed right from the start.

I mean I was smiling, clapping, gripping my jaw, cheering and just feeling ecstatic at the sheer joy that's in this film, Del Toro's script and direction are spot on the money and they make you feel that what you are watching is believable in terms of how the rules work in terms of the Jaeger's and in how the Kaiju come to and from our world.

But I have to talk about the spectacle this film has and it is simply mind blowing, there Gypsy Danger robot which has a head similar to Optimus Prime and it made me think of Prime every time he was on screen, hell there was one moment where I sang to myself "do do do do, You've got the Touch, do do do do, You've got the Powerrrrrr, YEAH" and after that said to myself "One Shall Stand, One Shall Fall" before he fought the giant Kaiju in Hong Kong Bay and when it went down it was like seeing Prime fall fighting Megatron in the animated Transformers movie, it's extremely rare for a CG creation to illicit that response but boy did it do so.

But coming back to that spectacle, the fight scenes and special effects on the whole are as I said just mind blowing as you really feel the height and the weight and the impact the Jaeger's and the Kaiju have when they're fighting and it also makes you get really tense in the throat and clutching your jaw as well, it was such a joyous feeling to have I couldn't tell you.

But my praise for this film is far from over for I have to talk about the score by Ramin Djawadi and it sets the tone so well that you find yourself tapping your feet to it as it plays in the film and the cinematography Guillermo Navaro is just beautiful with the neon lighting, the interiors of the Jaeger's as well as the Base they live in.

But lastly I have to talk about this more personal point in regards to the film, watching it reminded me so much of those cinema experiences that I love like the Star Wars Trilogy, Aliens, Aladdin, Argo, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Hot Fuzz and the first 2 Mad Max films to name as examples, this film sits with those for me for that reason in that when I watched them I was a different person afterwards, something that is hard to describe on paper somewhat but when you tell them then they understand.

So all in all, Pacific Rim is well worth your money and for me I cannot wait to see it again and relive that experience all over again as this is simply one of my favourite cinema experiences I've ever had, 5 out of 5.

No comments: