Saturday, May 19, 2012

Film Review - The Presidio (1988)

The Presidio stars Sean Connery as Lt. Col Caldwell and Mark Harmon as SFPD cop Jay Austin, the two are investigating a murder at the Presidio military base in San Francisco, but while that is going on Austin gets eyes for Caldwell's daughter Donna (Meg Ryan), something that will surely complicate matters as they go about their case of who committed the murder.

I went into the Presidio with VERY low expectations as after watching the trailer I said to myself "How on Earth can a movie with Sean Connery, Mark Harmon and Meg Ryan look so boring" but nonetheless I decided to check it out to see if I was right or wrong, either one would do right?

Well, funnily enough I have to put myself somewhere in the middle on this film, don't get me wrong I don't hate it and the actors are good especially Connery who pretty much steals the show and takes this very average script and makes something of it, Ryan shows off some of her future spunk and Harmon pretty much plays a precursor to his hit character on the TV series NCIS.

And yet with those actors and Peter Hyams as director/cinematographer who also does a good job with his action scenes and getting performances from his 3 leads, I wanted something more from it, something like a central villain in the piece to help tie the whole show together and give the viewer a sense that this movie is firing on all cylinders and giving them something very satisfying given the high pedigree this film has in front of and behind the camera.

And to illustrate this point further, Die Hard came out the same year and is as known for Alan Rickman's marvellous performance as Hans Gruber as well as Bruce Willis as John McClane, this movie feels like Die Hard without Gruber and could any of you honestly imagine Die Hard without him?

Anyone?

(cricket noises)

Didn't think so.

Okay to wrap this up, I didn't hate this movie but as I said, this needed a strong central villain to elevate above the average action fare, the 4 key players involved do a good job though without Connery, this borders on being a decent but ultimately forgettable flick, 2 and a half out of 5.

No comments: