Friday, March 30, 2012

Film Review - Mirror, Mirror (2012)


Mirror, Mirror is the first of two Snow White movies to be released this year, the other being Snow White and the Huntsman, this one is directed by Tarsem Singh and stars Julia Roberts as the evil queen who locks up Snow White (Lily Collins from Abduction), one day she escapes and comes across not only a fair prince (Armie Hammer) but also seven little dwarves.

I went into Mirror, Mirror with low expectations mainly because Singh’s last film Immortals didn’t do much for me at all but when I heard that Alan Menken was to compose the score for the film, I was more interested, with that how did I find it?

Surprisingly I really enjoyed the movie, it was lovely, charming and at times quite funny, Collins was very warm and engaging to watch even if she looked like a young Anne Hathaway and is worlds apart from the little girl we saw in Abduction then again she’s given actual script material to work with here but she isn’t alone I also liked Hammer as the prince and the actors that played the dwarves played off each other very well, Nathan Lane also did a good job in his role.

Though the weak spot was Roberts as the Queen, she was okay but far too often went over the top and at those times I kind of groaned, the film also had some beautiful costumes by the late Eiko Ishioka and Singh puts his famous visual stamp on the film, as for Menken’s score well I loved it, the score is very inspired by his scores for the Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast and at times you could hear Part of your World from Mermaid.

So overall, I really liked Mirror, Mirror and I do think its worth seeing, 3 and a half out of 5.

No comments: