Sunday, March 18, 2012

Film Review - The Mean Season (1985)


The Mean Season stars Kurt Russell as Malcolm Anderson, a reporter for the Miami Journal who is wanting to leave and head to Colorado to become the managing editor of a newspaper there and live with his girlfriend Christine (Mariel Hemingway) but one last story concering a numbers killer played by Richard Jordan could also prove to be his deadliest.

Okay, I have to say this but I was very letdown with the Mean Season, the trailer promised a hard hitting thriller and instead we get a muddled, boring and predictable thriller that isn’t really all that thrilling, Hemingway comes out of it the best in regards to the three main cast members as she actually does try to do something with her character rather than the standard “HAYLP HAYLP” heroine it could’ve easily became.

But what’s worst about this movie is this and this is a twofold response:

1. Both Russell and Jordan are wasted big time in their roles, Russell just projects a feeling of being bored throughout the whole film and as a result his performance feels completely flat and as for Jordan my god he comes across as so cartoonish he could be the precursor to Heath Ledger’s Joker I mean seriously some of his lines feel like “Are you the Real Batman?” and “People will die, I’m a man of my world, WA HEHEHEHAHAHAHA” and if that wasn’t enough some of the murder scenes could easily have “HA HA HA HA HA” written in them.

2. The second half of my problem is the ending, mainly as it’s that tried and true cliché of the killer that you think is dead but magically reappears for one last shot at our hero, this may sound like a minor spoiler but this has been done time and time again and when I saw it happen in this movie I had to hit myself on the head as I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate it when that happens and its even good movies like Misery that have it happen and boy does it get my goat Every. Single. Time.

But yet there was one thing I did like about this movie, shocking I know but hey there’s always a light in our darkest hour and that was the music score by Lalo Schifrin, a veteran composer best known for such work as the Dirty Harry series and the theme for the original Mission Impossible TV series, Schifrin’s score brings a sense of energy and excitement and real feeling to a movie that misses all three of those elements.

All in all, skip this as its an average murder mystery that’s also boring and predictable, .5 out of 5.

No comments: