Saturday, August 6, 2011

Film Review - Captain America (2011)


Captain America is the last of the Marvel movies to help set up the upcoming Avengers film which will be released next year, the story here is that in the 1940's the Nazi's have declared war and Steve Rogers played by Chris Evans is keen to enlist and serve his country but because of his skinny body and asthmatic health he is rejected, until a doctor played by Stanley Tucci offers him the chance of a lifetime.

In all honesty I wasn't really sure what to expect with this film, while the trailer looked pretty neat I kept thinking to myself "maybe I should skip this one" but thinking about the trailer made me change my mind, so was I right to be skeptical or was I right to trust my instincts in the hope that this one would deliver the goods?

As it turns out, I actually had a lot of fun with this movie, more so than some this year and the credit has to go to the director Joe Johnston, Johnston started at Lucasfilm in the 1970's and cut his teeth on the Star Wars Trilogy and Raiders of the Lost Ark and that background is on full show here with a car chase in the beginning of the film feeling a lot like the truck chase from Raiders and a bike chase in a forest towards the end of the film feeling a little bit like the Speeder Bike Chase from Return of the Jedi, now I'm not saying that's a bad thing necessarily but it's something that I noticed as I was watching the film.

As for the performances well generally they were quite good, Evans made for a strong and heroic Captain and Hugo Weaving made for a good bad guy, even though I still hate him as Megatron this and the Wolfman reminded me that he's a good actor though at times I did think to myself "When did he turn into Sam Neill" as he sounded a lot like Sam Neill when he played Visili in The Hunt for Red October and Hayley Atwell was pretty good too as the main love interest though again I was reminded of Claire Danes as she looked a lot like her, though it's a pity Danes didn't play Emma Frost in X-Men First Class as January Jones looked like her in that movie too.

Plus there's the fact that Tucci looked like Dr. Malikov from the Resistance video game series on the PS3 and I mean that literally, it was a dead ringer for Malikov.

Now comes my main bone of contention with this movie and it regards the 3D, frankly it wasn't needed as it felt more like 2.5D and low and behold, when I took the glasses off it looked great, it was brighter, more colourful and I got to appreciate the cinematography a lot more too, but then again it's not as if you needed further proof that 3D isn't needed and everything looks better in good old fashioned 2D now did you.

All in all, a good year for blockbusters notches up another win for its ranks but PLEASE see it in 2D instead, you'll feel so much happier you did, 4 out of 5.

No comments: