Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Film Review - Animal Kingdom (2010)


Animal Kingdom is an Australian crime story regarding the Overdose of the mother of a kid named J, who is then sent to live with his grandmother played by Jacki Weaver, but what he finds is something very dark indeed.

Upon this movie's theatrical release in Australia, there was a lot of very rave reviews greeting the film, most of them along the lines of "YOU MUST SEE THIS MOVIE RIGHT NOW", now I don't have a problem with that one bit as I've done on more than one occasion but I'm sorry but here I didn't feel that love, what I saw instead was a fairly straightforward crime story that would have probably worked just as well as a story for the Australian TV Series "Underbelly" in fact it may have worked better there so it could have developed its characters a little more, as the only interesting characters were the detective played by Guy Pearce easily the best thing about the movie, J's Girlfriend and Barry, a friend of the crime family played by Joel Edgerton.

Now I know I'm going to sound harsh on this but I did not enjoy this movie very much at all, mainly due to the lack of character development and the really annoying way everyone in the crime family spoke, that long droll that sound as if they all had a binge before shooting, if you like crime stories or Underbelly you'll probably like this film but if you don't then you won't so just a 1 and a half out of 5.

No comments: