Saturday, September 11, 2010

Film Review - Tomorrow when the War Began (2010)


Tomorrow when the War Began is based off a series of novels written by John Marsden, the story here is that a group of young teenagers go off for a weekend camping in a secluded country spot, but when they return they find all their loved ones missing and a maelstrom of decay, where ordinary kids can become battered and smashed.

To be honest, I walked into this movie expecting nothing at all, as having seen the previews for this when watching Iron Man 2 earlier in the year, it reminded me of Mad Max and as long time readers will know, I am a massive fan of the first two movies in that series.

But did my expectations get surpassed or not, well they did but not by anything special as this movie felt very by the numbers, I mean don't get me wrong the young actors are solid and I enjoyed myself but all I thought when I walked out was that it was okay, but nothing special.

But if anything my main objection with this film is this, when I think of Aussie action pictures what comes to mind is the Mad Max series (well the first two movies in that series mainly) and I'm sorry but this movie is nothing but a pale shadow of that great film, at times taking direct inspiration from Mad Max 2, boy I'm REALLY starting to get sick of this, if anything it feels worse here than in Book of Eli or The Road because it's Australian filmmakers getting in on the act, I have said this before but I'll say it again, please make this stop someday.

So all in all, don't have high expectations and you might enjoy yourself, a 2 out of 5.

No comments: