Friday, July 9, 2010

Editorial - New Jack Ryan to Start Shooting Soon, Maybe?

A while back I had read that Star Trek actor Chris Pine (He played Kirk for those wanting to know) would be taking the reins as CIA Agent Jack Ryan in a new instalment of the franchise that began so very very well with 1990's The Hunt for Red October and ended with 2002's The Sum of All Fears which to date I have yet to see but have not heard very good things about.

But according to producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura, shooting could commence sometime next year.

Now I must say that a new Jack Ryan is in a way a lot like the new Mad Max movie which George Miller is getting ready to shoot in that it will be tough to please me as like the first two Mad Max movies, The Hunt for Red October is one of my all time favourite movies mainly due it's intelligence, maturity in its storytelling, casting, thrills and nail biting tension, all handled expertly by John McTiernan, fresh off his success with the first Die Hard film two years before, the film is also my demo for how you take a book and translate it to film in a way hat satisfies fans but also brings in newcomers wanting a great thrill ride that won't leave them shortchanged.

But hey, I think that Pine is actually a good choice, reminding me somewhat of when Alec Baldwin played the part in Red October (he would only do it for this film, Harrison Ford took over for 1992's Patriot Games and 1994's The Sum of All Fears and Affleck for 02's Sum of All Fears.) hopefully the film will also deliver as well as like the new Mad Max movie, I'll be queuing up first chance I get to see it.

Link to the Empire story: http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=28323

No comments: