Friday, January 15, 2010

Film Review - Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (2009)


The Half Blood Prince is the sixth Harry Potter based on the series of books by J.K. Rowling and this time Voldemort has returned and Harry and the gang must now find a way to destroy the dark wizard once and for all, but this will not be easy as they must also deal with their own raging feelings.

In one of the issues of the Australian Playstation Magazine, their review of this film said that it was "The Empire Strikes Back of the Potter films" and sadly that is a big problem for me as Empire is a film that is close to my heart, and as such a film that tries to live up to that namesake has to work hard to earn my approval, this film did not.

And the reason why is that I am not a big follower of the series, I've seen a few of the films but have not read the books so as a result I don't know the ins and outs of both the story and the characters, but this film was okay it's just that my main problem is that it tries to live up to Empire Strikes Back and also the film didn't really go anywhere, as all it did was setup the final story, the Deathly Hallows.

So out of that, this film only scores a 2 out of 5, it was okay but the Empire namesake is hard to live up to in my eyes and is also best appreciated by fans of the series.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

It's not really fair to compare it to Empire just because some jerk in a game rag made a half arsed comparison to it.

This movie really suffers from having to cram a stupid amount of stuff into a regular length movie.