Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Film Review - Titanic (1997)


Titanic is based on the world famous maiden voyage of the aforementioned ship which also sunk after hitting an iceberg, here the tale is told from the point of view of two people: a rich but depressed woman played by Kate Winslet and a wanderer wanting a way home played by Leonardo DiCaprio.

Director James Cameron has made some of my most admired movies with his two Terminator films, Aliens and the Abyss, this film sits right on the shelf with those as again I sat there thinking “I hate it when he does this” as the movie worked, setting up a brilliant framework within the first 20 minutes that prepares you for what’s to come, the chemistry between DiCaprio and Winslet is some of the strongest I’ve ever witnessed but on top of that, the finale is masterfully made with sections of it recalling Aliens and Terminator in your mind, which proves that when it comes to action, Cameron is still one of the masters.

Yes folks, I enjoyed this movie even if it doesn't hold up on repeat viewings but in terms of my rating I’m going to give it a 3 and a half out of 5.

No comments: