Saturday, August 15, 2026

Film Review - The End of Oak Street (2026)

The End of Oak Street stars Anne Hathaway and Ewan McGregor as a couple living with their kids in their local neighbourhood when one night some strange lights go off outside their house and when they go to investigate, they find dinosaurs roaming the streets and the race is on to try and survive to Dino Mash (The Dino Mash).

The End of Oak Street is a mixed bag for me movie wise, the best thing about it easily is Anne Hathaway who is having a great year with this, The Odyssey and the Devil Wears Prada 2 and here is no exception, she not only does a great job with the warm motherly moments but she also finds to be an effective horror heroine as her expressive eyes and face are put to great effect in that part of the film, in fact while watching her in this movie I thought to myself “I hope she does a horror film role soon as she would be great at it”

I also thought the film was well made and made good use of its suburban neighbourhood setting which was framed very well with its houses on hills and big backyards and slightly annoying neighbours and the dinosaur parts of the story were merged well into that location.

But as for the film overall it wasn’t for me, I’m sorry to say as throughout most of the movie I found myself feeling bored while watching it as this movie so desperately wants to be an Amblin/Spielberg type of films (hell this movie has JJ Abrams as its lead producer) and instead it feels like an Amazing Stories (which was a TV series created by Spielberg in the 1980’s) segment stretched out to a feature film and while it isn’t a long film it was also one that didn’t engage me all that much.

What also doesn’t help is that the Amblin feel is one that many many others have tried to replicate since the 1980’s and a lot of them have failed and I think I am now at a point where these recreations have grown tiresome for me, I really would like something that speaks to now in 2026 where we’re 6 years on from a real life pandemic that fundamentally upended how we understood the world and led to us as a society becoming more insular and distrusting and I feel that has to be addressed in media at some stage as it can’t be ignored forever.

And so that was the End of Oak Street and it has its moments but it did very little for me in the end, 2 out of 5.

No comments: