Friday, January 20, 2023

Film Review - The Banshees of Inisherin (2022)

 The Banshees of Inisherin is the new film by Martin McDonagh who made In Bruges and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri and takes place in 1920’s Ireland and stars Colin Farrell as Padraic and Brendan Gleeson as Colm two friends who one day aren’t friends anymore because Colm decides he doesn’t like Padraic anymore and Padraic can’t understand why and tries his best to get him to change his mind.

 

The Banshees of Inisherin is pretty good and I had a good time for the most part watching this film, firstly the scenery of the Irish coast is lovely to look at with its green hills, cloudy skies, beachside settings and old houses it makes this country look and feel like a place you really want to visit and also McDonagh’s script is pretty good for the most part I particularly like the use of the word Feck it reminded me a lot of Red Dwarf and its use of Smeg and Smeghead.

 

Secondly the performances here are very good, Farrell and Gleeson play off each other very well and have great chemistry together and it makes you wish that they would put their differences aside and be friends again so you can just watch them trade lines as they drink pints and Colm plays the fiddle in the pub, Barry Keoghan is also very good as a young man who is often seen as a town pest while Kerry Condon is good as well as Padraic’s sister and she has some good scenes of her own.

 

If I have one complaint about the film its that the comedy at times is very black and I am not against dark movies at all but here the black humour kind of bothered me a little bit and it didn’t really make me laugh all that much either and maybe this is a result of the dark times the world has been through since March of 2020 but my bleak-o-meter has taken a cut for the most part and I’ve found myself wanting happier and/or more escapist fare of late.

 

And so that was the Banshees of Inisherin and while its black and at times bleak comedy didn’t work for me this is a good drama anchored by great performances, 3 out of 5.

No comments: