Saturday, November 2, 2019

Film Review - Ready or Not (2019)

Ready or Not stars Samara Weaving as Grace, a young woman who marries into a rich family that made its fortune through games and she has to pick a card for the game inside the house of her now in laws and she gets Hide and Seek but what her in laws Seek is her and she has to Hide until Dawn to survive.

Ready or Not is going to be very high up in my favourite films of the year list as this was a terrific horror movie in many areas:

- Firstly this is just such a great idea for a horror film this rich family that plays these sick and twisted games on those who enter the family through marriage and the race to survive is on and it made me think sitting there in my seat “How would I react in this situation if it was my wife” or “How would I feel if my family had this kind of reaction to her or vice versa, would her family accept me” that kind of thing though not taken to the kind of extreme that this movie takes it but it generated that kind of questioning in me.

- Secondly the production design of the house and the night photography really adds to the mood and the tension of the film and it looks fantastic on a cinema screen, the use of the blacks and the chandeliers and the wooden halls and giant rooms makes for a very effective horror setting as you become familiar with each room and what’s inside to help Grace survive the night and it just helps to add to the effectiveness of the horror your watching projected in front of you.

- Third this movie has some fantastic bloody violence that more than justifies its MA15 rating and the use of blood in this movie I just loved every minute of it, the kills feel great and gory and the blood is the life to quote Coppola’s Dracula and all of those moments just felt tasty like I wanted to lick my lips when the blood flowed on the screen and gave life to the Earth.

- And lastly Ms Weaving (Niece of Hugo) is a terrific scream queen, she has got a serious pair of lungs in her and she more than holds her own on screen in both trying to survive the sick game being played against her but also learning to fight back much like Sigourney Weaver and Linda Hamilton in the first Alien and Terminator movie respectively, I hope she gets to more gutsy roles like this one in the future.

And so that was Ready or Not and yeah I loved this movie big time and very very highly recommend it if your not squeamish in any way at the sight of blood, 4 out of 5.

No comments: