Thursday, August 29, 2019

Film Review - The Kitchen (2019)

The Kitchen is based off of the DC/Vertigo and stars Elizabeth Moss, Tiffany Haddish and Melissa McCarthy as 3 women who’s husbands end up in prison after a bust so they decide in order to avoid starvation to take over their husbands work with runs them afowl of the Mob.

The Kitchen is not a very good movie really at all and its for these key reasons:

- Firstly the films tone is all over the place, some scenes are very serious while a lot of the others just feel like your watching a cartoon and that cartoonish feel is all over this movie, so much so that for a lot of it I thought to myself “I am struggling to take this movie seriously” because instead of watching a movie you just feel like your watching an Adult Swim adaptation of this story and it really got me bored with the whole thing after a while.

- Secondly Ms Haddish and Ms McCarthy are woefully miscast in this movie, every time they opened their mouths to talk I was reminded of the cartoonish tone the movie had as their comedy instincts became more and more apparent every time they were on screen and I am a fan of Ms McCarthy I am but between this and the Happytime Murders from last year I am really starting to see that fandom of mine tested in a big way.

As for Ms Haddish every time she was on screen I kept wishing that Jada Pinkett Smith was playing her role as she would’ve brought much more of a dramatic weight to that role and it would’ve made for a better movie I feel.

- And lastly Ms Elizabeth Moss is wasted in this movie, this lady is more than capable of carrying any movie or TV show you give her to do and she does have the most compelling character arc of the film but the sad eye performance she gives kind of takes away from that and again after a while I didn’t really care all that much.

And so that was the Kitchen and it has reaffirmed in my mind what a disappointing year 2019 has been on the movie scene, hopefully the last quarter will turn things around but I don’t have high hopes for that, 1 out of 5.

No comments: