Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Film Review - Stuber (2019)

Stuber stars Kumail Nanjiani as Stu, an Uber driver by night who also works at a Sporting Goods store, he likes to get 5 star ratings mainly to keep his driving job but one day he picks up Vic (Dave Bautista) who is on the trail of a Drug trafficker in LA but Stu gets caught up in the action and the chase is on.

Stuber is a fun movie, I had a good time while I was watching it and I did laugh a fair amount, firstly Mr Bautista and Mr Nanjiani have good chemistry and play off each other very well not only in terms of their comedy timing but also how they represent the various sides of manhood and how its expressed which I thought was a pretty interesting idea.

And also I really enjoyed seeing Ms Karen Gillan appear briefly in this movie but sadly it is all too brief and it’s a real shame as I love her as Nebula in the Marvel Studios movies and she deserves to have a large role in a movie outside of the makeup she wears as Nebula and also she does a great American accent.

But there are also times where the action and comedy elements don’t quite gel together, firstly the action at times is way too overedited to the point where it is hard to follow who is fighting who in the scenes and its disappointing because you want to see Dave fight in those scenes.

And secondly one of the jokes regarding his character doesn’t really work very well, it’s fun for about a scene or two but after multiple scenes I got a bit tired of it.

But that aside Stuber is a fun ride that’s worth taking and that’s my 3 star rating.

No comments: