Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Film Review - Top End Wedding (2019)

Top End Wedding stars Miranda Tapsell as Lauren a young Indigenous girl who is due to marry her fiancée Ned (Gwilym Lee) but she wants to get married in the top end of the Northern Territory but when her mother has gone missing, Lauren is determined to go and find her so both of her parents can walk her down the aisle.

Top End Wedding was a movie I saw when I wasn’t feeling too good and it did a lot to really lift my spirits up, this is a very nice and romantic movie that really charmed me and won me over, firstly I have to talk about Ms Tapsell she is very likeable with her winning smile, innate charisma and likeable personality that really won me over.

And also I liked seeing Mr Lee again after he played Brian May in Bohemian Rhapsody so well many were convinced he looked a whole lot like a young Brian May but here he trades the boofy Brian May hair for a shorter cut and a beard and he was pretty good here as well even if sometimes some of the casting of international actors in Australian films can be hit and miss at times.

And also the film is funny there were numerous references to Die Hard that really made me laugh as did other jokes throughout the film and I can be hit and miss on comedies even though I enjoy going to them from time to time and also the movie made me see why people go to Darwin and the Top End in the Winter months here in the Southern state of Victoria.

The film does a great job really showing off that part of the country with the traditions of indigenous culture and the landscapes and it makes you want to go there to avoid the rain, the wind and the cold of the winter here in Victoria and South Australia which is where I saw the film.

And so that was Top End Wedding a film that will put a smile on your face, give you a good time and make you want to visit Darwin during the Winter months and it was definitely a nice surprise in what has been a pretty bleh year in movies so far, 3 out of 5.

No comments: