Monday, March 4, 2019

Film Review - King of Thieves (2019)

King of Thieves stars Michael Caine, Jim Broadbent, Michael Gambon, Ray Winstone, Charlie Cox, Paul Whitehouse and Tom Courtney as a group of thieves who decide to heist the various Jewellery stores in a busy London store but after they make the heist the loyalties in the group start to fracture and Caine’s Brian is the source of many frustrations within the group.

King of Thieves is one of those movies that does exactly what it says it will do on the box and that is be a good, fun, light hearted time at the movies and that was what I got out of this movie, I had a lot of fun watching it and there were times where I was laughing a lot out loud in my cinema seat and the cast is clearly having a lot of fun playing their age.

Even though part of me will never forgive Ray Winstone for being in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Plastic Prop sorry Crystal Skull I thought he was pretty good here, Charlie Cox is also quite good even if the entire time I just kept thinking “He’s doing this to save his Netflix Daredevil Series” and also Sir Michael Caine still has that charismatic charm and the twinkle in his eye that can carry any movie he’s in with great ease.

However I have to say that the films second half is not as strong as the first as the loyalties between the thieves begin to fray and the police go on the hunt for the robbers, I felt that this section dragged a little bit for me and it became a little predictable but despite all that this is not a huge knock on the movie overall.

And so that was King of Thieves and it’s a fun movie that is worth a watch on a rainy Sunday afternoon, 3 out of 5.

No comments: