Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Film Review - Deadpool 2 (2018)

Deadpool 2 continues on from the first Deadpool but this time David Leitch steps into the directors chair replacing Tim Miller Wade Wilson (Ryan Reynolds) finds himself back in trouble once again as a young boy named Russell (Julian Dennison) is targeted by a time traveller named Cable (Josh Brolin) so the chase is on and the quips are not too far behind.

Deadpool 2 is sadly not a very good sequel at all and the comparison I would make is Robocop 2 from 1990 where it had a different and more serious direction but the tone of the film feels very off and at times it becomes very nasty and young Mr Dennison is the biggest reminder of that comparison for me his performance here feels so fowl mouthed and so nasty at times that I hated watching him in the movie and I did think of Hob (Gabriel Damon) in Robocop 2.

This ties into my second biggest problem and that is the storytelling here is a big mess with Deadpool and the X-Force, the storyline with Russell and the storyline with Cable being big storylines in their own right and not one of them comes together in either a satisfying or cohesive way as it feels like 2 separate scripts (one being about X-Force and the other about Cable/Russell) being smashed together in a printer and neither of them is explored well enough to make work and again Robocop 2 had this problem of a messy storyline.

And this last point again like Robocop 2 (I know I know its getting a bit much but I’ll stop here) the more straight laced and serious minded tone makes the action sequences feel more violent than they did in the first Deadpool film and after a while I just got sick of it and at least Robocop 2 had a great end battle sequence with the two robots whereas here the action just became a jumbled mess that without a story hook to make me care just left me bored.

But the biggest problem I had above all else with this movie was Ryan Reynolds now I liked him a fair amount in the first Deadpool film but Tim Miller was smart enough to know when to reel him in and moderate his improvising whereas here he endlessly mugs for the camera the entire film and talks so much that he sounds more like a bad knockoff of Iago from Aladdin and after a while I just said to myself “WILL YOU PLEASE JUST SHUT UP” and it just felt like a trip down the time tunnel to the bad old days of these films where they became little more than glorified star vehicles.

As for Mr Brolin as Cable well I was very disappointed here probably most of all because he gets such little screen time and so few scenes of dialogue now maybe this is due to his Thanos schedule but I wish he was in it more and lastly the comedy just didn’t make me laugh this time the gags were too on the nose and the references got a little tiresome.

And so that was Deadpool 2 a sequel that I hated frankly and it feels worse when a bad sequel comes after we get a great one like Paddington 2 but if you’re a fan of the first film I still feel you should go and see it and make up your own mind, 1 out of 5.

No comments: