Friday, June 23, 2017

Film Review - Despicable Me 3 (2017)

Despicable Me 3 is the third entry in the series and again concerns Gru (Steve Carrell) and his wife Lucy (Kristen Wiig) trying to track down the former child star turned villain Balthazar Bratt (Trey Parker) who plots revenge against those who cancelled his show back in the 1980s meanwhile Gru meets his long lost brother Dru (also Carrell) and the two start to bond.

This was a very fun film that I had a great time watching and I also thought it was miles better than Number 2 and almost as good as the first film from 2010 and there are 2 reasons for this:

- Firstly Balthazar Bratt is a really fun villain and a lot of his animation is very fluid and the many 80s references he makes just had me smiling in a big way especially the tunes that come out of his electronic guitar gun and every scene he was in I thought really elevated the film which was something I think missing from number 2 a really fun villain to help anchor the story.

- And secondly I still get a real joy out of seeing the Minions and though their screen time is rightfully reduced given they got their own spin off film 2 years ago their scenes are still great fun to watch and land better because their back to being fun sidekick characters with fun gags one scene with them in particular just had me beaming from ear to ear and when I thought about it I still laughed a lot out loud.

And so that was my short and sweet review of Despicable Me 3 a really entertaining animated film that shows Illumination back on form after last year's Secret Life of Pets which was fun but forgettable, 3 out of 5.

No comments: